fbpx

Ewedu soup is a traditional Nigerian recipe mostly eaten by the Yoruba people, but is now a favourite of most other ethnic groups. Ewedu also known as Corchorus is a genus of about 40-100 species of flowering plants in the family Malvaceae, native to tropical and subtropical regions throughout the world.

Do you know that:

Ewedu is called Rama in Hausa, malukhiyah in Egypt, molohiya in Isreal, krain krain in Sierra Loene and mrenda in Kenya.Ewedu is used to produce soup (taushe) or mixed with kuli kuli (groundnut cake) to form a dish known as kwado in Hausa. Ewedu is good for weight loss because of its low calorific content and it helps strengthen the immune system, fights off stress and heart disease.

Ewedu is a folk remedy for aches and pains, dysentery, enteritis, fever, dysentery, pectoral pains, and tumors.

ewedu and okra

This green, leafy vegetable is rich in beta-carotene for good eyesight, iron for healthy red
blood cells, calcium for strong bones and teeth, and vitamin C for smooth, clear skin,
strong immune cells, and fast wound-healing. Vitamins A, C and E present in Ewedu
“sponge-up” free radicals, scooping them up before they can commit cellular sabotage.

One-half cup cooked Ewedu leaves contains: 1.3g protein, 0.3g fat, 3.1g carbohydrates,
0.4g fiber, 87.3mg calcium, 22.5mg phosphorous, 1.0mg iron, 0.02mg thiamine, 0.04mg riboflavin, 0.3mg niacin, and 10mg Ascorbic Acid or vitamin C. Ewedu has an antioxidant activity of 77%.

Contributed by Ebuka Ezeji.

7 Comments

• Moses Aribido, February 6, 2020 @ 9:27 pm Reply

From oral tradition I learned that where orthodox medication may not be always suitable for a pregnant woman, jute leaf will always be suitable and appropriate to be used for the treatment of malaria and any other diseases

• Atubobaraolo, June 14, 2020 @ 8:27 pm Reply

Can ewedu juice be taken raw?

• Bridget, July 20, 2020 @ 5:55 pm Reply

Yes. Ewedu soup can be taken raw.

• Adekunle Agbebiyi, July 4, 2020 @ 8:51 pm Reply

My contribution to the benefits of Ewedu, as a Rabbit Farmer, when my rabbit have delay in delivery, before I make use of oxytosin injection but later discover than I do lose some kits in the process so I change to the use of Ewedu. I do give my rabbit once the delivery date is complete and ever since then, my rabbit deliver safely without mortality again.
    The benefits embedded in that nature Ewedu is great. Thank God for the gift of the nature.

• Enechi Gilbert, July 13, 2020 @ 11:17 am Reply

I am impressed with your comment on Ewedu leaf for enhancement of delivery for rabbits.
      Is it what the pregnant Yoruba women take that often make their child delivery seamless?
      Dr Enechi

• Edidiong Hephzibah, July 16, 2020 @ 11:35 am Reply

Eating ewedu is a good way to get enough iron as a pregnant woman
    That was what helped me when i was pregnant for my daughter Seventeen Years ago

• Jeff Bankole, November 3, 2020 @ 10:11 pm Reply

Thank you for sharing this wonderful information